I suggest you ...

Return address on label resize looks terrible

Last night there's been an update. This morning I've seen what it is. The return address has been increased in size. It looks TERRIBLE. Also in the past there's been many reroutes due to machines misinterpreting where mail is to go and sending stuff back to return address. Surely this will just exacerbate this? While on the subject of labels the little hand scanner symbol below the return address really needs to be higher resolution most label printers can do 200 dpi with 300 being the norm and that symbol looks to be less than 70dpi

32 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

tech shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
declined  ·  AdminAdministrator (Administrator, Click and Drop) responded  · 

Hi and thanks for your feedback.
The new return address format has been redesigned to improve accuracy when reading the return address, and will be rolled out across all Royal Mail systems and integrators.

14 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Facebook Google
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • tech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

according to rules in user guide it is stated:
    "The font size for the Delivery Address must be the same or larger than the Return Address Block"

There is no control for the size of the Delivery address - if the Delivery address has a lot of text it becomes smaller and smaller. In which case it will easily become smaller than the return Address Block at the hideous size it is in. Also Helvetica is also acceptable font there is no reason for that choice of typeface.

• Matthew Palmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree. The label layout was pretty much perfect and is awful now! On a 6"x4" label the senders address is almost as large as the delivery address.

• sl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having investigated more, it looks like the massive return address may not be an software QA error - It may be the developers sticking to the letter of the law, but not the spirit of the law... in this case the "law" is the Royal Mail technical documents, such as those on https://www.royalmailtechnical.com/user_guide.cfm that state that the return address...

"The preferred requirements are that the Return Address ... the font and point size used are either ‘Lucida Console’ or ‘Letter Gothic’ fonts of 10-12pt."

However it also says the next para of the same tech doc says

"... if the size of the finished mail piece is C5 (162mm x 229mm) then it must be placed on the back of the mail piece. This is because we need to ensure that we reduce any Instances where the incorrect address will be read, possibly resulting in poor quality of service.
    When on the back, it must be within an area within 40mm zone from the top of the mail piece. For items larger than C5 (>162mm in length and > 229mm in height) we recommend the return address to be on the back. This is not mandatory. When on the front, it must be in the top left corner, no more than 75mm from the right edge and cannot extend to lower than 40mm from the top edge of the letter ..."

So if the developers are sticking to the rules, they should stick to all of them (Strange that other current, and previous label solutions e.g. DMO, did not stick to these rules, and the Royal Mail did not collapse!), or be pragmatic about the whole thing & get sign off to keep it the was, the way it works (no misdirection) and how post(wo)men I've talked to want it to be.

• Ian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just had international C&D mail returned to me because 'the system read the return address'. This was changed by C&D on the 15th and still they can't be bothered to fix it. There is a software development process called Quality Assurance. Royal Mail would be well advised to read about it. A basic check of one label would have prevented this issue.

• Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the worst part of this issue is simply the lack of comment or response from the Royal Mail.

The administrators of this page need to demonstrate that they're not only listening, but doing something positive to iron out these types of problems.

Simply poor service.

• cassie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This looks awful, and is so light when printed on YOUR PRINTER that you can hardly see it !!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Does anybody actually check the consequences of updates before launching them?
    Also can the text "Return Address" please be changed to "Sender Address" as this will help to reduce the number of customers who return products back to the wrong address.

• Chris Gibson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree the return address label change is not an improvement. Also the comment on the QR code is valid too. The lady in my post office today said they have problems scanning these for some customers who have poorer quality print outs.

• Rubidium commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree with the other comments - the font used for the return address looks like Courier "typewriter" font from the 1970's - really amateurish. Another "feature" of this weeks update appears to be that full street addresses are now being abbreviated to a few CAPITAL letters, (ST, RD, GDNS) etc, which again makes it look like the sender can't type.
    PLS SRT OUT THS TRIBLE MES!

Just realised it it's so big that our address doesn't all fit on the label anymore - It's missing the "United Kingdom" from the bottom!

We'll have to remember to write it on by hand for all overseas labels.

Actual difference is Font has changed from Arial bold 7pt to LetterGothic 10pt

• Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The 'new' return address is shocking, simple. Bring back the old one. I've just been speaking with the Click & Drop Helpdesk and they agree 100%, but she also said that they development team don't listen to their feedback....

The label looked good before, but this new font takes it back 10 years. Come on RM, get your act together - listen to and respond to your customers, after all, we're doing you a favour by taking our time to feedback on these issues.

I was wrong... it used to regenerate at the correct font size in CnD via print assist, but clearly since this update, it's now totally broken - big return addresses whatever you do!!

Been having problems with this for 2 weeks - Wrong on labels through dropbox, but regenerate them in CnD using print assist give the right font

Feedback and Knowledge Base